February 16, 2005

Drugged Out


Posted by Hello

I used to hate the taste of coffee. Well, I guess, to a certain extent, I still do. I absolutely refuse to drink my coffee black, it's just too bitter. I have to add sugar (lots of sugar) and occasionally cream.

So why do I drink something that I dislike?

Because of the perks.

Did you know that according the to National Coffee Organization, there are more than 300,000 Americans who consume at least ten cups of coffee each day?? Were you paying attention? That's TEN CUPS A DAY! Holy cow. Can you imagine the headache they would get if they decided to cut back??

What type of person consumes that much coffee in a day? A person obsessed with their "to do" list. Why else would you need that much stimulation?

I hesitate drinking more than one cup of coffee every day. I get hooked, fast. I try to alternate the number of days I drink coffee in the afternoon and those are usually reserved for the days I'm at the library trying to get some writing done. I focus better, ideas seem to just pop into my head and the words usually flow.

Caffeine doesn't usually affect my sleep - I can fall asleep on a dime. But it severely affects Kevin's sleep. We go to lunch together every Wednesday. Afterwards, we go to Hot Shots (a drive-thru coffee shack) and get mochas. Well, I get a mocha, he gets a Granita. If he gets something with caffeine, he will NOT sleep well. Even chocolate keeps him up at night.

But we have to have it. It spurs us on to productivity. We have to be productive to avoid the guilty feeling we all get when we don't get as much done during the day than we had planned/hoped.

Why do we feel this way?

Why is it so hard to slow down and smell the roses? Kevin's favorite saying is: "I don't have time for that." My answer? "Make time." Life is too short for that excuse. Sure, it's nice to be productive, but when do you relax and ENJOY what you've worked so hard for? When does life slow down? When you're dead? That's too late.

So I say: Drink coffee - Enjoy life. Pretty simple, eh?

No comments: