March 07, 2005

Please Don't Hug Me


I need a hug Posted by Hello

I've never liked hugging. I don't have a problem hugging my sons or my husband, but even hugging mom is like, weird. I mean, why? To me, it's just an excuse to touch each other.

Why? Isn't a simple wave and smile good enough?

It is for me.

My husband's family hugs each other. They tried to include me in this ritual when we first got married but I think they have finally figured out, it's not my favorite thing to do. (It could have been the look of panic that flashed across my face whenever I saw open arms).

They don't hug me anymore.

It's not personal. I just don't like being messed with. I hate going to the doctor, the dentist, the hairdresser, and getting hugs.

Maybe it's a defense mechanism, but why am I being defensive? Maybe something happened in my childhood and I'm subconsciously scarred. (Well, there was Aunt Gertrude. Her breath was so bad my eyelashes would fall out). *grin*

Or maybe I'm just one of those people who are not affectionate to those outside my little "zone." I don't know. It doesn't mean I'm standoffish (okay, maybe a little) or that I don't like you (just keep your distance dude), I'm just weird, I guess.

I hug babies. I love hugging babies. Why is that? It's because they're huggable. Adults are not huggable, they just want to sap my positive energy, or feed off my negative energy in a morbid sort of way. (I'm in a weird mood today).

Sometimes though, you just need a hug. Occasionally, I'm depressed, for no reason, just down-in-the-mouth blue. Hugging someone reconnects me to the human race and I don't feel alone anymore.

So c'mon, hug someone.

Just not me. :-D

No comments: