March 15, 2005

I'm Stressed


Posted by Hello

I need a vacation from my life. Things have gotten too complicated and I don't have the energy to deal with it all anymore.

My youngest son is stressing me out. He simply has no focus. Not only at school, but with life in general. He forgets things at friends houses, he CONSISTENTLY forgets things concerning school and when it comes to "finding" something he lost around the house, he's clueless. He literally steps over the very item he's looking for.

I don't understand this kid. He's smart as a whip and one of the most social people I know (he doesn't get that trait from me, that's for sure) but when it comes to being aware of what's going on around him, he's lost. It's like he walks around in the clouds. He has no concept of reality sometimes. The world revolves around Bran - the world according to Brandon.

How do you make a 10 year old focus? How do you make him aware of what's going on around him and stop daydreaming? I finally had to put an end to his doodling; he was bringing home more doodles than homework.

Where does he go? And how do I bring him back?

I've read somewhere that intelligent people are sometimes spacey. Many have short attention spans. I don't think the work is too hard for him, I just think he absorbs the gist of it and simply gets bored with the rest of it.

Some of it has to do with his desire to make people laugh. He's a comedian and I have to admit, he's quite funny. But how do I teach him to stop being funny and get serious? Do I want to? There are too many serious people in the world as it is. Isn't a personality like Brandon's refreshing?

It is until it gets in the way of reality. And right now, his reality is school. I guess I'll just have to step in more often and make sure he's organized and prepared. When he is, he's lethal. When he's not, well, let's just say, I'm stressed.

No comments: