June 02, 2005

Haven't a Clue

Okay, I have to admit, that was fun.

The kids and I spent some really good quality time together today.

First, we dumped the fish bowl full of change, sorted it, then counted it. We ended up with $80! That will be enough to buy a couple of small dinners on vacation.

I feel kind of bad though. I walked into our bank with a chip on my shoulder. I used to HATE it when people brought me rolled up coin. I think mainly because I was forced to trust the person bringing in the money. When you’re a teller at a bank and are expected to balance to the penny every night, you can’t afford to make any questionable transactions. I really hated it when people came in with coin and didn’t have an account with us, at least with an account; there was some sort of recourse action.

So when I walked in, I sort of plopped the money down, started taking the rolls out of the fish bowl (I felt like a loser, carrying a fish bowl full of rolled coin in to begin with) and before the teller could open her mouth I said, “Yes, I have an account with you.”

The teller flinched as if I had pulled a sucker punch in front of her face. I felt bad then, so I softened the harsh-sounding words with a smile. She smiled back. She was actually very nice about it. I relaxed when she smiled and told her we were cashing in our coin to take on vacation with us.

“Oh? Where are you going on vacation?”

“Sanibel (pronounced San-I-bell) Island, Florida.”

“Oh…that sounds wonderful!”

Yes, yes it does, doesn’t it. Just saying the word “island” and I get all jittery. There’s something exotic, remote and exciting about visiting an island. Of course, when BJ learned we were staying on an island he looked momentarily panicked.

“But…how are you going to get back and forth?”

I had to laugh and I’m sure I turned a few shades of red while waiting for the teller to count out my $80. (I still can’t believe we had that much change!)

So, that was the first highlight of my day. After the bank, we went to Wally World and shopped for suntan lotion. Now, I don’t know about you all, but I have a real problem dishing out $8 dollars for a tube of suntan lotion. So, being the cheap frugal person that I am, I selected the generic brands, $3.50 for both bottles. I just hope it works well enough. I would hate to imagine being stuck in a stuffy, cramped airplane on the ride home with a second-degree burn.

NOT FUN.
After the suntan lotion, we headed toward the board games. But not before passing the monster squirt guns.

“Oh, mom! Can we get some squirt guns?”

I glanced at the price tag and nearly swallowed my tongue.

“For $15 dollars?! I think not.”

After much whining and pouting I compromised.

“I tell you what, I’ll buy them,” I see a visible perk in both boys, “if you pay me back when we get home.”

The shoulders slumped again.

“Nah,” AB said. BJ was slower to respond but when he weighed either losing the money and gaining a cheap plastic toy that would probably break after the first couple of times of playing with it (he’s had first-hand experience with that before), he shook his head.

“Forget it.”

Uh huh, I thought so.

We stopped in front of the board games. I was disappointed, they didn’t have much of a choice. But then again, I suppose this isn’t the most ideal time of year to shop for board games.

I actually got this idea from my sister-in-law. Her family is really big into board games and they are always sharing a laugh or telling a story about one of their games and I think that is the coolest thing, to share that experience with your family. So, I started thinking.

“Hey, boys, have you ever played Yahtzee?” I don’t know why I asked that when I knew the answer.

“Huh?”

“Or Clue?” I held up the game. “What about Life?”

They looked at me like I was crazy.

What kind of mother am I? My boys haven’t played the classics?? I aim to rectify that problem this summer.

We bought Clue (I wanted to buy the Simpson’s version, but didn’t want to pay the extra five bucks. I know, I’m like the epitome of cheap). I also wanted to buy Life, but figured we better space this out a bit or hubby might get a little cranky.

We came home and opened the game. I was actually shaking I was so excited. I LOVE this game and remember playing it for hours when I was a kid. I got to be quite good at it, too.

I explained the rules to the boys and laughed at their totally blank looks. I know they were probably thinking, “But where are the controls for this thing? How do move the characters around? Does this thing take batteries?”

We started playing and they quickly caught on. However, just when I thought I had it figured out, BJ shows me the very card that shot my theory out the window. Then I started to become suspicious. Wait a minute, all of the characters were accounted for?? That can’t be!

So, with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, I cracked open the “Confidential File” envelope and groaned.

I had inadvertently placed two weapons and a room inside. There was no “Who” done it.

GRRRRR

To top it off, after we had our laugh about how stupid mom is, I found the revolver card on the floor – it hadn’t even been in the game!

Hey, what can I say? I love games but I stink at setting them up.

I have a feeling this will become one of those stories the boys tell people at family gatherings to embarrass me.

“Did I tell you about the time my ditzy mom messed up my first time playing Clue? It was hilarious!”

Oh yeah, a riot. :roll:


I post everyday here.

No comments: